8 ounces almond paste, grated
8 ounces marzipan
1 1/2 cups butter
1 cup granulated sugar
4 eggs, separated
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
10 drops green food coloring
8 drops red fool coloring
1 12 ounce jar apricot preserves
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
1. Grease three 9 x 13" pans; line with waxed paper, grease again.
2. Break up almond paste in a large bowl with a fork. Add butter, sugar, egg yolks and almond extract. Beat with electric mixer until light a fluffy - about 5 minutes.
3. Beat in flour and salt.
4. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into almond mixture.
5. Remove 1 1/2 cups batter, spread evenly into prepared pan. Remove another 1 1/2 cups and add the green food coloring; spread evenly into second prepared pan. Add red food coloring to remaining 1 1/2 cups batter and spread into remaining pan.
6. Bake at 350° for 12 to 15 minutes, or just until edges are golden brown. (Note: Cakes will be 1/4" thick.)