Chocolate Marzipan Brownies
3 oz. unsweetened chocolate
¼ tsp. baking powder
Dash of salt
1 c. sugar
8 oz. marzipan
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Place chocolate and butter in a saucepan and heat over very low heat until melted. Remove from heat, stir and then set aside to cool slightly.
- Mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Stir sugar into chocolate mixture and add eggs, 1 at a time, stirring after each addition.
- Blend in flour mixture.
- Evenly spread ½ of the batter into a greased 8” square pan. Set aside.
- Soften marzipan and roll out into an 8” square. This is most easily done between two sheets of waxed paper. Place marzipan on top of batter in pan. Spread remaining batter evenly over marzipan layer. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Chill the brownies thoroughly before cutting into 1” squares with a serrated bread knife.
- The brownies freeze well - in fact, I think they taste better after freezing!When the brownies are done, they will have a firm crust on top but a toothpick inserted into the center should come out wet. Do not overbake the brownies.
Let the brownies cool completely, then lift them out of the pan and slice into rectangles. These are very rich so I cut them into 1” squares so you will have over 100 brownies!
Storage: The brownies will keep at room temperature for up to three days. They can be frozen, well-wrapped, for up to two months.