Shortbread was always at the top of the list. I have to tell you about one year when the shortbread was a disaster. In those days we didn't have supermarkets where everything was prepackaged as it is today. You went to the store and the grocer weighed out what you wanted, be it sugar, salt, flour, split peas, tea, etc.
As with many ethnic recipes, you will find that every family has its own variation. With shortbread, some families use cornstarch with the flour, others use fine cornflour. I have changed our family recipe a little over the years to include rice flour as I find it adds a delicious "shortness". I hope you will enjoy it.
Chocolate Dipped Orange Shortbread Cookies
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons finely grated orange peel
1/2 lb. butter (two sticks)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup rice flour
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Combine sugar and orange peel in food processor and pulse several times to blend. Add salt and pulse. Add butter and process until creamy and light.
- Add plain flour and process until combined.
- Add rice flour and process until a ball forms. There will probably be some dough that is still loose.
- Turn out onto a clean surface and knead with your hands until dough forms a smooth ball. Divide dough in two and form each half into a roll about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Place on waxed paper and use a cookie sheet to help "tighten" the roll.
- Refrigerate until firm - 1 - 2 hours. I save the tubes from paper towels, waxed paper, etc. and place the rolls in there to chill since it keeps them round.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line two or three cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Slice the cookies a generous 1/4 inch thick and place on the prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 20 minutes or until just beginning to take on some color.
- Cool on the sheets for a minute or two then place on cooling racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, melt the chopped chocolate and when the cookies are cooled, dip them half way in the chocolate and place on waxed paper to set.
WATCH THE VIDEO DEMONSTRATION